One of the things that bugs me is the need to change the dirty water when rinsing water color or acrylic paints from a paint brush. I use two mason jars when I paint, one for dirty and one for clean, but my clean water is soon just as murky as the dirty water.
I found that Silicoil Brush Tank cleans the brush and all but eliminates the need for a second dunk in clean water before going on to the next color. Silicoil Brush Tank holds 12 0z of water. Simply fill the jar with water, run the dirty brush over the top of the aluminum coil to release the paint from the bristles of the brush. I do have a second jar of clear water to swish the brush in again, but have found little need for this second step. A Silicoil Brush Tank cost about $7.00.
- Invest in good brushes for better results. Simply Simmons are great low-cost brushes. If you can afford to spend a bit more, I recommend Escoda Versatil brushes.
- When done using your brushes clean them with The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver.
- Do not leave your paint brushes standing point down in a jar of water as this will damage and split the bristles.
- Never smash the paint brush on the bottom of a jar to release paint as the bristles can break.
- Like to paint when traveling? Use a weekly plastic pill container and fill each day of the week with water and close. Open a “day” to clean a dirty brush.
- Don’t use the same paint brushes for both watercolor and acrylic paints. Acrylic paints are much harder on brushes. Keep a set for each type of paint.
- Don’t drink the dirty water! I have done that on more than one occasion!
- Silicoil Brush Tank – https://www.dickblick.com/products/silicoil-brush-cleaning-tank/
- Simply Simons are great intro brushes for either watercolor or acrylic paints – https://www.dickblick.com/products/simply-simmons-synthetic-brushes/
- Escoda Versatil brushes are a nice step up – https://www.dickblick.com/products/escoda-versatil-brushes/
- The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver – https://www.dickblick.com/products/the-masters-brush-cleaner-preserver/